In very exciting news for all of us here at Scandi Classics, St Petersburg has been recognised as Europe’s Leading Destination for travel.
At the 23rd Annual World Travel Awards, held in Sardinia on September 4th, 2016, the Russian Imperial city was the winner of this prestigious award for the second consecutive year – testament to its place as a premium location for conferencing, recreation, and culture.
So, what is the secret? Why visit St Petersburg?
The answer is simple: there is literally something there for everyone!
St Petersburg, while retaining its Imperial flavour dating from the time of the Tsars, is Russia’s most European and accessible city. With a rich history and full of unique culture, it is yet a vibrant and youthful city with a view to the future. With famous architecture, some of the world’s most renowned artistic attractions, and romance in the air, it is a beautiful city packed full of gardens, canals, museums, monuments, palaces, cathedrals, and arched bridges.
St Petersburg welcomes five million visitors each year, and with hundreds of charming hotels, boutique mini hotels, and many thousands of restaurants and cafes, not to mention shopping opportunities, tourists are well accommodated. There is also a buzzing nightlife, from bars and clubs to exotic dance venues. And with so many fantastic attractions within a day trip from the city, what more could you want?
Top Reasons to Visit St Petersburg:
- Russia’s White Nights: throughout the summer, enjoy the broad daylight – even late in the evening. The city is friendly lively, and romantic – more so during the White Nights season. Stroll the riverbanks, picnic in a park for dinner, or cruise the canals.
- Museums and Galleries: with so many to choose from it may be a challenge, but the top two are the Russian Museum and The Hermitage – amongst the world’s greatest museums. There are also many historical monuments to see.
- Imperial Palaces: some of the world’s most spectacular palace buildings; the Peterhof is not to be missed.
- Elegant Parks and Gardens: stunning mid-city green spaces that are clean and beautifully maintained, these parks and gardens are perfect for a stroll, a picnic, or just relaxing and enjoying the great outdoors.
- Canals and Drawbridges: romance and timelessness! If you love Amsterdam and Venice, you’ll love St Petersburg as well. The city is actually knows as Venice of the North. During the summer, you’ll want to also enjoy a cruise on the River Neva.
- Cathedrals: architectural masterpieces, the St Petersburg churches are also historically significant. Must-visit sites include the Kazan Cathedral, St Isaac Cathedral, and Church on the Spilled Blood, built on the site of the assassination of Tsar Alexander II.
- Russian Cuisine: with an incredibly diverse array of options, visitors to St Petersburg are gastronomically spoiled for choice. Don’t forget to sample authentic Russian vodka and caviar if you’re feeling sumptuous!
- Russian Theatre: more than one hundred theatres inhabit the city; the Mariinsky Theatre is home to the world famous Russian Ballet in the city.
Arrive via the Baltic Sea: with Scandi Classics, you can arrive in St Petersburg via the Baltic Sea – and visit Russia visa-free!
For all travel to St Petersburg, contact Scandi Classics today!